Range - Aspect Edit
Range deals strictly with how far from the caster a spell can travel. This may include travel time before the effect happens or it may include the effect the entire distance. Range is in all three cardinal directions and is considered a radius. For spells with multiple, independent effects, the range applies to all of them equally unless otherwise noted. It does not split between them.
Spell Construction Edit
Range comes in five primary categories, then can be stretched beyond that for additional cost.
- 0 Cost - Self - Range for any spell that only affects the caster or something on their person.
- 1 Cost (+15 EDR) - Touch - No range, but can affect other targets besides the caster.
- 2 Cost (+50 EDR) - Short range - 0-40m
- 3 Cost (+15 EDR) - Medium Range - 40-90m
- 4 Cost (+15 EDR) - Long Range - 90m-150m
- +1 Cost (+ 20 EDR) - Additional Range - +100m
Far Spells Edit
Spells can be enhanced on the fly to have increased range. To increase the range to the next range increment, an additional EDR cost must be paid based on the table above. To increase the range multiple increments, all increment EDR costs must be paid. For instance, a spell that is typically a Touch spell, can be cast at Long Range (150m or less) for an EDR cost of 50 + 15 + 15 = 80. The reason the step from Touch to Short Range is so much is because there is a different dynamic to spell casting going from direct contact to actual ranged effect.
Traits and Foibles can further modify range.
- Casting Time
- Number of Targets
- Verbal Component
- Somatic Component
- Material Component